Books, boats, history and the itch to write about those things
Cotuit Landing, circa 1900s
Cotuit Port was an important commercial center in the 19th century due to its advantageous position relative to Nantucket. In 1874, a stone quay was built by Jarvis Nickerson to house a warehouse owned by the Hyannis lumber company of Sears, Co.
The Cotuit Oyster Company was started at the landing, expanding its wooden pier to accommodate its operations as well as a boat shop that built and repaired the skiffs and catboats owned by Cotuit’s watermen.