The news here is the decline in the sale of business/investment content — down 6.3% from 2003. Bear market? Beardstown Ladies out of the market? Not likely. More plausible is the general realization by consumers that little business/investment content is truly unique and if not available from one source, can be located elsewhere.
Research is up 6% but still a relatively small market at $115.1 million.
Here’s the list of what I pay for:
- Accuweather Premium: because I am a weather freak
- WSJ.com: because I always have and probably always will.
- Highbeam Research: because I need good research capabilities for my freelance writing
- Vault.com: because I’m looking for a job and need access to employer profiles
- Mediabistro: because I freelance and need access to a marketplace for assignments
- Morningstar: because I do a lot of mutual fund related freelancing and need access to premium level research (and which I just cancelled).