A 25-hour plane ride and 10.5 hour jet lag makes me goofy. Tonight, over a restorative burger and beer on the back deck, a friend said “… it’s summer. Their friends are all here. They’re discovering their bodies …”
In disbelief of the inane Marin County New-Age Psychobabble of that comment, and delirious with the lag de’avion, I blew a mouthful of burger onto the picnic table, and said “Discovering what?”
My cousin across the table jammed his hand down the front of his shorts and said, “Whoa. Look what I found.”
This went on for five minutes until I laughed so hard I think I tore an intercostal muscle between my ribs. But I digress.
Peter Kim at Forrester has named this one of the top client-side marketing blogs. Max Kalehoff notes the prevalence of personal in a list of professionals:
“Examining Peteâ€™s initial list, I think it is important to note that many also are largely personal and passionate endeavors, as evidenced by the quasi-independent relation to their employers. In other words, these are not â€œofficialâ€ company-sanctioned blogs; they live on completely different hosts and domains. Most are personal blogs and digital profiles likely to travel with these individuals regardless of their future relationship with their employer. This is a new phenomenon in business, where niche yet potent and personal brands are playing a bigger role in marketing. Theyâ€™re benefiting the companies while changing the dynamics of employee-business relationships.”
It’s not that I wouldn’t have an official blog, but shit, could I say “shit” if I did? Or post a picture of my dog with a shaved ass? Or make fun of people who marvel that teenagers are discovering their bodies?
Or talk about clams? Blogging is fun for me, not blogging about marketing. This scratches the ol’ cacoethes scribendi and keeps the pencil sharp.
Here’s the list. Peter has good taste.
- Flooring The Consumer :: Technorati authority = 504. Authored by CB Whittemore, Director of In-Store Innovation, Wear-Dated Carpet Fiber.
- Marketing Nirvana :: 424. Mario Sundar, Community Evangelist, LinkedIn.
- ExperienceCurve :: 332. Karl Long, Web/Social Media Integration Manager, Nokia.
- The Marketing Excellence Blog :: 254. Eric Kintz, VP Marketing, Digital Photography & Entertainment, Hewlett-Packard.
- cgm :: 191. Pete Blackshaw, CMO, Nielsen Buzzmetrics.
- Decker Marketing :: 167. Sam Decker, VP Marketing, Bazaarvoice.
- Masiguy :: 162. Tim Jackson, Brand Manager, Masi Bicycles.
- AttentionMax :: 153. Max Kalehoff, VP Marketing, Nielsen Buzzmetrics.
- Churbuck.com :: 148. David Churbuck, VP Global Web Marketing, Lenovo.
- Emerson Process Experts :: 130. Jim Cahill, Marketing Communications Manager, Emerson Process Management.
- Bernaisesource :: 99. Dan Greenfield, VP Corporate Communications, Earthlink.
- John Dragoonâ€™s Blog :: 29. John Dragoon, CMO, Novell.
- Randyâ€™s Journal :: n/a. Randy Tinseth, VP Marketing, Boeing.