J.P. Rangaswami has a great formula for engagement and participation:
“I’ve always believed in a simple rule-of-thumb about opensource communities:
* For every 1000 people who join a community:
* 920 are lurkers, passive observers
* 60 are watchers, active observers capable and willing to kibitz
* 15 are activists, actually doing something
* …and 5 are hyperactive, passionate about what they’re doing, almost to a point of obsession”
This maps pretty closely to the experience I’ve seen at Reel-Time since 1995.