Randomness from Fungalore

I fly out of Bengaluru in five hours on British Airways to Heathrow, then onwards to Boston where I arrive Thursday evening at 6:30 EST. If I do the real-time conversion for actual travel time, that will mean about 26 hours from the time I leave the Hotel Ista on Swami Vivekananda Road to the time I roll down the clamshell driveway on Main Street in Cotuit.


This is nearly an intercontinental flip turn. Not as epic as the McKinsey director who allegedly flew to Paris from New York and returned the same day on the Concorde, but close enough for stupid-traveller-bragging-rights. I arrived at 6 am on Tuesday, went to the hotel, showered, went downstairs and had breakfast with my colleagues, and was in a day long “summit” by 9 am in Lenovo’s global marketing hub, sucking down waaaaay too much caffeine and feeling utterly vulnerable, clumsy, and addled. Now it is Wednesday night, I am vulnerable, clumsy, and addled, and by the time I depart will have been in Bangalore 45 hours having travelled a grand total of 48 to get to and fro ….

WTF is wrong with me?

Tuesday ended in a thumping roof-top night club eating mystery kabobs in the dark with a view of Bangalore all green trees and tropical below me. I crashed hard, slept six hours, than ran 3K on the treadmill before another breakfast of masala dosa and sambar. Today,  Wednesday, was more meetings, a solid moment of narcolepsy around 4pm during a discussion on metrics and analytics which ended when someone noticed my snoring and loudly volunteered me for a project I still haven’t figured out yet. Another roof-top restaurant, more meat on a stick, another cab ride through twisty little streets where packs of dogs roam and cows pick through the piles ….

Then back to the Ista where I am resisting the bed like my final resting place, convinced if I nap I will miss my flight and get another day of meetings and more meat on sticks for my troubles. I ate something in the interesting category and am doing the Pepto Bismol thing so I don’t end up spending the first leg of my flight in my own private cabin.

I’d post pictures of cows and crowds but I left my card reader on my desk at the Cape.

Author: David Churbuck

Cape Codder with an itch to write

0 thoughts on “Randomness from Fungalore”

  1. Godspeed. I had a 24-hour door-to-door trip (Jersey to Taipei by way of Hong Kong) and it’s not something I’d wish on anyone. Business is global and while it’s exciting, the travel aspect has become something to be endured, not enjoyed.

    Telepresence anyone?!

  2. I did Narita to Dublin via SFO and LAX in one 25-hour period and let everyone share in my jet-lagged misery. that trip challenged my sobriety.


  3. A great cautionary tale for anyone who ever in a delusionary moment thinks it must be a walk in the part as an executive. Thanks for sharing some of the gritty realities of “day in the life”…

    Welcome back!


  4. When in med school flew a cheap flight to Sydney, Australia (and back): Chicago, LA, Hawaii, Auckland, Sydney (25+ hours each direction). Thank goodness for showers and towels in Auckland’s terminal (I wish every terminal had showers)!

    Also once did London-Chicago-London in 24 hours for an important meeting,
    only to be outdone by an unusual female friend of mine who flew NY-Istanbul-NY for 24 hours in Istanbul for her sister’s wedding.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.